Being as it is now December and officially Advent, I no longer feel guilty about actually getting into the Christmas spirit. (The first-day-of-November crap we had this year was just a weeee bit much for me.) And there's no better way to set the mood then by watching a good ol' Christmas classic on the tube, err plasma.
Much akin to the Halloween extravaganza of a couple months ago, the Netflix queue has been re-aligned for a Holiday marathon. I'll spare you the daily reviews this go round, but you have to at least acknowledge the list. These are the ten greatest Christmas movies OF ALL TIME!
1. It's a Wonderful Life
2. A Christmas Story
- Our first Christmas without Darren McGavin :(
3. Christmas Vacation
- The greatest of the Vacation series, by far, is also a perennial yuletide favorite.
4. Die Hard
- "'Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, except for the four assholes coming in the rear in standard two-by-two cover formation!
" Yes, Die Hard is most DEFINITELY a Christmas movie.
5. Home A-fucking-lone
6. The Nightmare Before Christmas
- It's the Elfman soundtrack.
7. How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- Chuck Jones, Boris Karloff, and Thurl Ravenscroft? Yes, please.
8. Miracle on 34th Street
- The 1994 version is pretty solid, but the original is the best. Obviously.
- Bill Murray doing Bill Murray, and doing it well.
10. A Christmas Carol
- While you have several meritorious versions to choose from here, my favorite is the 1984 one starring George C. Scott. Greatness.
Honorable Mention: A Muppet Christmas Carol, Ernest Saves Christmas, EVERY SINGLE Rankin & Bass
Christmas special ever made, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Gremlins.
Labels: cartoons, lists, movies