Thursday, October 26, 2006

TV Update

After watching the pilot episode of "Studio 60" a few weeks back, I was kinda excited about seeing where it would go. Unfortunately, each new episode has gotten progressively worse. Last night I tried to watch Monday's, but I couldn't even finish it, nor did I care to. There's only so much preachiness and elitism that can be forced down your throat before the gag reflex kicks in and you puke.

I don't want to waste too much time talking about this show, because it's not really worth wasting brain power on, but allow me to point out but one small example of what makes me sick when I watch it. I speak of the scene in which Simon (D.L. Hughley) bemoans and espews hatred toward a black comedian for relying on what he believes is lowest common denominator comedy: the white people vs. black people schtick.

Interesting. I guess Sorkin never saw The Original Kings of Comedy (or any of Hughley's standup for that matter), and is hoping that none of his elitist target audience has, either. Unfortunately for him, some of us HAVE seen it, and can therefore appreciate the best joke that Studio 60 has (unintentionally) told up to this point in its pathetic existence.

Fuck this show.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, October 26, 2006, Blogger CD said...

No one's gonna fault you for not liking the show, but it's hardly ever a good idea to watch TV and expect to receive decent social commentary. Case in point: sideline reporters interviewing Matthew McConaughey during a fucking football game.

 
At 3:31 PM, October 26, 2006, Blogger Richard said...

Oooh, Oooooh Vince...rant about the portrayal of devout Christians. Pleeeeease.

 
At 6:14 PM, October 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dellach, that's kinda the point I was trying to make.

I watch television for one reason: to be entertained. That's it. That's my expectation. TO be entertained. But it's hardly entertaining having Alan Sorkin tell me exactly how the rest of the world is ignorant or just doesn't get it, in a manner that is about as subtle as a train wreck.

That's what blogs are for.

P.S. I love you, Richard. When are you going to come visit us?

 
At 8:05 AM, October 27, 2006, Blogger sdvknsdvkn said...

Point taken Toon. But, most writers or actors would consider this some type of "art" rather than entertainment. I would bet a case of Keystone Light that Sorkin would say art rather than pure entertainment. That being said, many forms of art come with some type of commentary from the creator. Books such as 1984 or The Jungle comment on social and political issues of the day. Paintings during the renaissance depicted images of the church that just a few decades before that would have lead to their imprisonment or death (I'm sure some still did even during an age of enlightenment).

Now I'm not equating TV writers to great authors or painters, but in their warped Hollywood lives, the writers probably believes their "creations" can affect change and move our country to a more "progressive" way of thinking. Yes it get's preachy and arrogant, but that is a part of the message when you have people create. I'm not very creative but I believe it would probably be difficult not to include your views or opinions on anything you create.

To make a long story short (too late), yes Sorkin is an ignorant jerk, but I look past his liberal bias and agenda to see the good entrainment his writing evokes.

 
At 8:40 AM, October 27, 2006, Blogger CD said...

My bad man. Most of the stuff you say goes over my head anyway. Ignore me. I just write haiku about sausage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home