Wednesday, March 14, 2007

What is the most annoying phrase in the English language?

That's the question posed by the Telegraph (UK). There are several hundred responses so far (many of the "stupid Americans" variety, of course).

Here's a funny one:

'No way Hose'

I hear this frequently from my Son and his circle of friends. Just who is Hose and what exactly is it that he shouldn't do?
Personally, the one I can't stand is "going forward" instead of "in the future." As in "Going forward, we want this to be as smooth a process as possible," or "Let's just use the booked volumes in our calculations going forward." Every boss in my group uses that phrase at least once a conversation. Get them all together in a meeting and it becomes the ninth circle of hell.

Oh yeah, the other one I can't stand is when people use "[name] and I" as captions for pictures in their online albums. It's "[name] and ME." If you were alone in the picture, would you caption it "I?" Of course not, you fucking tard.

What else is annoying?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, March 14, 2007, Blogger sdvknsdvkn said...

Stay the course
Close of business

It’s not a phrase but anyone who uses “air quotes” should be ashamed.

 
At 9:19 PM, March 14, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

but i use air quotes all the time!

 
At 12:20 PM, March 16, 2007, Blogger CD said...

How about this gem of business-speak:

"Touch base"

As opposed to simply "getting in touch" or "speaking with you about".

 
At 10:40 AM, March 19, 2007, Blogger Cole Presnell said...

I'm getting kind of sick of attaching the word "sir" or "maam", so as to make it easily flow with the phrase preceding it. It flows to a point where it appears that adding "sir" to the preceding phrase is not even really thoughtfully considered, but has become an idiomatic phrase.
This typically occurs when one provides a nominal favor (holding open a door, for ex.) for someone who is known as an acquaintance, but can also apply to strangers. Hearing "Thank you, sir" is becoming akin to nail-scratching on a chalkboard for me. Many times this is said in a kind of playfully serious-sounding voice, and, whether or not there is a change in tone, there is always a swing-like cadence to the way it's said.

It's just a kind of sassy, playful, faux-chivalrous response to a nice gesture that, for some reason drives me up the wall. I appreciate the recoginition of my polite action, but adding "sir" when I really don't think it necessary (this phrase is usually not irritating to me when it delivered by someone in the service industry, as it usually is said in a somewhat more sincere way) almost cheapens the "thank-you" or whatever might preceed it.

The above probably only strengthens any argument working to prove that I am, indeed, insane, but keep your ears listening - you might be surprised how often you hear this. And it might annoy the Hell out of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home