Friday, June 17, 2005

Friday Booze Review: Anchor Steam Beer

Picked up this one because it was new on the shelf, and I'm still afraid to try more than three Turbodogs at a time. Steam beer, apparently, is what you get when you brew lager yeasts at ale fermentation temperatures (higher than usual). The brewing process results in high CO2 pressure, which I could see visibly when I opened a bottle. A little spray of "steam" lingered for about 20 seconds at the mouth. Very cool.anchor steam beer

It poured a gorgeous copper-amber with a fluffy light tan head. Absolutely picturesque, but unfortunately the head dissipated rather quickly. The aroma was roasted malts, very warm and inviting. It kinda reminded me of that stuff we used to eat back in the day, what was it....? Oh never mind. Every now and then I would catch a little bit of a floral whiff and maybe the slightest hint of toffee. Pleasing, to say the least.

The flavor had a real earthy feel to it. It was like sweet wheat bread, which gave it a nice wholesome taste. Smoothly malted but had a nice bitter hoppiness at the end to give it some bite. Managed to maintain a balanced and comfortable weight throughout, I think due to a good (relatively low) carbonation level. This beer was definitely at its finest during the first three to four gulps after pouring when I could get a good mouthful of head and splash it down with the liquid (wow that sounds hot). There's really nothing like a lip-smacking, creamy-goodness gulp of head, and this beer definitely deivered on that one. Still, like I mentioned, the head didn't last long at all, so your enjoyment of that aspect is limited to the beginning of pints.

Overall, this was a pretty good beer. It's definitely got some character, which is a difficult thing to find these days. At $7.50 a six pack, and 4.9%, I'd say bring this one to a barbecue to impress your friends with your familiarity with a West Coast classic that can hold its own.

Appearance: 9/10 (lost a point for the short-lived head)
Taste: 7/10
Enjoyability: 7/10
Overall: 8/10

5 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, June 18, 2005, Blogger Richard said...

When I cease being a minor and start being a self-enabling alcoholic, I'll have things to say too. I will. You'll all want to listen to what I have to say. All of you.

 
At 5:28 PM, June 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being up in Chicago this week I decided to try some stuff I've never had before. I don't recommend "Special Export" (purchased at $3 a six pack, but I do recommend "He'Brew: the Chosen Beer - Mesiah Bold". L'Chaimi to life! (as stated on the label)

 
At 9:30 AM, June 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soon Richard, very soon.... Cody if you can snag a couple sixers of cool looking Midwest beer, I'll pay you back for them next weekend (if you're going to be at Bass' wedding). We could get some regional action on here.

 
At 11:28 PM, June 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well i guess there is no better place to brag i found some Guiness swim trunks and for all those picky drinkers there is High Life trunks being sold as well at target.

 
At 8:09 AM, June 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice, gotta get me summa thems.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home