Wednesday, July 13, 2005

That's a lotta nuts!

So Lakewood Church is opening the doors of its new church this weekend in good ol' H-Town. After a $90 million renovation, it'll be able to seat close to 20k people, somehow proving that Pastor Joel's "power of positive thinking" works. Whatever. It'll always be the Compaq center to me (remember the back to back championships, *tear tear*). The only reason I am aware of this is because the local news is devoting well more than substantial coverage to it, both on air and in print. Good gravy, you'd think it was the second coming of Christ.

I take to heart the "judge not, lest ye be judged" business, I really do. But holy shit. It's stuff like this that makes that a tough precept follow. The Lakewood site has the look of one that's out to sell you life insurance or mutual funds. Although, come to think about it, I guess that is the business they're in. Become a member of our church, start your tithing program, God blesses you profusely and without fail. And by profusely, they mean with good health, a white picket fence, and 2.5 children. I'd take that over an annuity any day.

I'm pretty sure Jesus fits in there somewhere, I just haven't been able to piece it together yet. Ah well, thankfully naivety and good intentions do count for something, so the congregation's hope for salvation isn't necessarily in vain. Oh yeah, and also one good thing about having a super megaplex church is that your wife instantly becomes a very do-able diva.



I guess I'd sell my soul for that.

1 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, July 14, 2005, Blogger Richard said...

http://strange.timetrip.net/?entry=tilton


Yay to the inherit ridiculousness of commercialized religion's figureheads.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home