Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Hurricanes and Hegelianism


Rita is coming. My first summer in the Gulf AND my first hurricance. So hardcore. Galveston county is going to issue the mandatory evacuation statement for me this evening, if she stays on course. I thought about defying authority and toughing it out, but unfortunately (or fortunately, the jury is still out) my mother reminded me that evacuating would be the wise - and therefore virtuous - thing to do. That and the whole "You shall not put the Lord, your God, to the test" thing has me about 90% sure that I'll leave. Gizmo is having a going away party in Dallas this weekend anyway. It'll be like 1999.

Update: Wed. 2:50 PM I'm bookin' it to Austin for now, be in Dallas on Saturday. I have a sneaking suspicion that my apartment will be missing a roof and all my stuff destroyed when I get back. It's gonna be awesome. Stay safe.

Update II: Tues. 1:50 AM Said "fuck you" to the daytime evac traffic, decided to split in the dead of the night. Got the windows boarded up, but after keeping tabs on the storm track (updated above), I'm more convinced than ever that my apartment will no longer exist when I get back. Started and finished reading "The Cay" in honor of current circumstances. Packed up my guitar and a duffle bag. Had a moment of insight in which I realized that the stuff you take with you in a state of emergency probably defines you as a person as good as anything out there. Deep, I know. Suddenly realized that my sister and her children in Killeen are probably going to get tornadoed to shit. Not good. Anyhow, the "Vince" third of the Triumvirate show will now be reporting from the road for the rest of the week. Seacrest, out.

-------

"The true is the whole." The Phenomenonolgy of Spirit, George Wilhelm Hegel, 1807

In other news, I read a great article in the Standard last night. Paul Mirengoff and Scott Johnson (of Powerline fame) recount an "evolution of an evolution," if you will, and explain how the distinctly modern trend of treating the Constitution as a living document is also firmly rooted in Hegelian tradition. Couple this novel approach with the left leaning justices' penchant for using foreign source material in consitutional decisions, and what remains is not so much a judiciary that reviews objectively with respect to the Constitution, but rather a Wilsonian "cadre of experts" whose role becomes the very navigation of American society toward the "end of History" (liberal globalization, anyone?). It's a very astute analysis. Take a couple minutes, and Read the Article.

4 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, September 21, 2005, Blogger Mr. Shife said...

It's too early for me to tackle that article but I can relate to partying like its 1999. Those were the days, my senior year of college and only having classes on Tuesday and Thursday. I was having myself a good time.

 
At 12:56 PM, September 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have come with me to law school.

 
At 2:52 PM, September 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shife, you're old school. In 1999 I was a sophomore in high school and just sprouting wings.

Francis, I'm too illegit to be a lawyer.

 
At 9:25 AM, September 22, 2005, Blogger Mr. Shife said...

I know. Don't remind me that I am an old man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home