Thursday, March 01, 2007

A game to play if you're bored and/or a super lame-ass

I am consistently both.

Now, this may not be as cool as a million dollar geography riddle, but it is a good way to kill a lot of time. Jason and I play this at work about once a week. You really need two players to play for score and to make it competitive, but you can always play alone just to test yourself or to practice.

One player picks a school and a womens' sport. For example, soccer at Michigan State (random). Now go to the MSU athletics website, find the womens' soccer page, and then the roster listing. So far so good.

The player who didn't pick the school/sport gets to go first. Based solely on the general information listed on the roster page (name, class, high school, etc.), he must choose the girl that he thinks will be the hottest. The other player then makes his selection.

In our example, I would choose Player #2 (I'm not typing in full names in case these people ever decide to Google themselves.) She's got a good Irish name, and we all know there's always potential in that. Jason would probably pick #25. He likes Laurens, which are also a safe bet.

Finally, you are ready to click to find out which one is actually hotter!

#2/#25:


In this case, I think mine would win, which means that I would get the point. Continue in this fashion (alternating roles every round) until one player scores a predetermined number of points, and wins the game!

Because tastes differ so, you've got to come to some sort of Gentleman's agreement about acknowledging each other's victories. Sometimes you have to be willing to concede that in general your opponent's choice would be considered more attractive than the one you picked, even though she may not necessarily be your kind of girl. On other words, be reasonable.

You can see where this can get nuanced. Statistically, you're giving both you and your opponent a better shot at picking out hotness by choosing, say, Longhorn volleyball over, I don't know, Providence field hockey. There's just more hot ones to pick from overall.

Other strategies I've developed:

-Never choose a goalkeeper, it's a guaranteed loss.

-The best sport for choosing a non-American is tennis. Even then, I would only choose one every five times or so. Those Eastern Europeans are a big time gamble.

-Always give slight preference for those who went to private school. Remember the maxim, "Money breeds hotness."

Have fun.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, March 01, 2007, Blogger CD said...

That's f'n genious dude. My time is ready to be wasted!

 
At 4:20 PM, March 01, 2007, Blogger Brian said...

and nothing says genius like mispelling genius... ooooh...SNAP!

 
At 9:53 AM, March 02, 2007, Blogger CD said...

Snap indeed, Mango. Give me my $25 back.

P.S. Toon, me and some guys at work wasted at least 2 hours at this game yesterday.

 
At 6:41 AM, March 03, 2007, Blogger Edmund Dantes said...

I fear I will be forever in your debt. Bravo, bravo!

 
At 10:15 PM, March 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all for the greater glory. I'm glad you fellas could appreciate that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home