Monday, August 20, 2007

My ichthyocentric fixation

My latest obsession is getting an aquarium set up. I bought The Buddy a Betta last week (he named it Purple), and it's currently living in a gallon vase with a little shrimp named Rick and a moneywort plant - not so great of a life. I just started cycling a 20 gallon rectangular tank, so hopefully in about 3 weeks I'll be able to move them all over to more spacious quarters. Then I think I'm going to get a school of 6 or 8 Harlequin Rasboras and a couple Cory catfish for tankmates. My eventual goal is a 55 or 70 gallon tank with cichlids or maybe a marine setup, but that's a good ways down the line.

When I was younger, we kept guppies for a while. After doing fairly exhaustive research this go round, I've come to realize that I did pretty much everything wrong with respect to fishkeeping back then - overstocking, overfeeding, awful maintenance; I'm sure the ammonia concentration must've been off the charts. The biggest fish we had was named Slack. He used to go through death-resurrection cycles on a weekly basis.

Those of you familiar with the Memorial Acclamation used in response to the Mysterium Fidei may appreciate the fact that my brothers and I used to sing a (probably blasphemous, but definitely irreverent) song about the poor little fish:

Slack has died,
Slack is risen,
Slack will come again.


Gotta love those poor attempts at liturgical humor.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, August 21, 2007, Blogger Sir Cody said...

A couple of things:

1. Tito and I are pretty good with tanks if you need any advice.
2. That Beta is gonna get picked at by the pack of Rosboras you're thinking of getting
3. My angelfish Spike died a couple of weeks ago because he got himself stuck in a rock in my tank. When I tried to flush him, he got stuck there too, so I had to bury him in the back yard. Just wanted to share a tail of an hornery bastard of a fish of mine.

Say hi to the Buddy for me.

 
At 3:55 PM, August 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot all about Spike! I can't believe he finally bit the dirt...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home