Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Story of My Life

This morning I was thinking about a humorous story from my childhood. Upon further reflection, I realized that it is a microcosm of my entire life.

Flash back to fourth grade. I'm deer hunting with my pops. After a long morning, we had yet to find a clean shot. Around 8 or 9 we called it quits and packed up. As we hiked back to the truck, the unthinkable happened: the miracle doe magically appeared. I'm talking, she walked into the road right in front of us, stopped broadside, and gave us the stare.

Pop nudged me to take the shot. "Holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit," my little fourth grade mind ran. Not to brag, but I'm a pretty decent shot with a .30-30, and at 40 yards this one was a gimme. I took aim. My heart was racing in anticipation for the kill. One deep breath for the nerves.... One deep breath to steady the aim.... One deep breath and hold.... and squeeze the trigger.

Click.

Fucking safety was on.

Away she pranced.

The story of my life.

4 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, October 26, 2005, Blogger Mr. Shife said...

At least you are not shooting blanks. And sorry about your Astros.

 
At 3:05 PM, October 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Shife, they're getting painful to watch...

 
At 3:50 PM, October 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going a-huntin' this weekend! I hope I don't forget the safety

 
At 7:33 AM, October 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry about your 'stros

 

Post a Comment

<< Home