Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Trend analysis

You've probably all heard the stat that Texas has outscored Oklahoma State 118-0 in the second half the past three years, to overcome halftime deficits and take the wins. Well, I've got one for you that I know you haven't heard. During the last three OSU games, I have been, for all practical purposes, unconscious during said second halves. How's that for a handicap?

2003: Down 16-7 near halftime, the South comforted me, and calmed all nerves, en route to a blackout second half. All I remember about this one is that we watched it in my apartment. Texas wins 55-16.

2004: Trailing 35-14 at the half, the SoCo was once again the drink of choice, this time in flask form. This one wasn't a total blackout, as we were actually at the game, but it was as close to one as you can get, what with the booze and euphoria and all. We stumble out of the stadium, after Texas wins 56-35.

2005: Noticing a trend, I got to drinking early on Saturday. Three quarters of a bottle of Cuervo later, Texas is still down 28-12 at the break. I slip it into overdrive, finish the bottle and put a dent in another: Longhorns win, 56-35. Needless to say, I remember nothing of the second half.

I think that come this time next year, I should probably start drinking the Thursday before the game, slip into a coma, and have them air-vac my lifeless body into Memorial Stadium during halftime. Set me right next to Bevo in the South endzone. As long as I'm unconscious, we have a sure shot at victory against the Cowboys, especially if we're down. You can take that one to the bank.

----------

One more kinda funny story, which I got second-hand the day after. So I watched the game over at Tito's house. We desperately needed more limes and tonic water, so at halftime we made the mad dash. On the way back, we caught Craig Way calling VY's 80 yard TD rush. All was well in the world. When we made it back to the house, I called Giz to celebrate. Here's a recap of my end of the conversation, according to Tito:

Me: Dude, I'm shhhooooo fucking nervoush if we fucking loshe thish game... fuck man.... HOLYSHITTHEREGOESVINCE! DUDE ARE YOU FUCKING WATCHING THIS, THIS IS AWESOME! ALL THE WAY BABY!! TOUCHDOWN!!!!

(pause)

Me: Oh shit, it did?

(pause)

Me: Yeah, Tito's got DVR.

4 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, November 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can attest to Vince's inability to recall those previous games. I was comforted by the South as well, and have absolutely no recollection of said games. As a matter of fact, my little brother was comforted (and horrified) by Vince's display last year Sadly, this year, I do remember. I was lost in the Canadian Mist.

 
At 9:43 AM, November 01, 2005, Blogger GIZMO said...

After we were losing at the half this year, I thought about how this was different than last year. I could only come up with one answer, the alcohol that defined my college experience, Early Times. I do remember this years game, but oddly enough, I dont remember the 2 hours after it. Praise god for Early Times.

 
At 10:56 AM, November 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Canadian Mist is a worthy substitute for the SoCo.

Nay, praise God for the return of Gizmo.

 
At 11:37 AM, November 01, 2005, Blogger Mr. Shife said...

Shit, I am ready to get wasted. Let's get it on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home