Thursday, January 19, 2006

Three plugs, and I'm out.

I'm sure most of you have heard this already, but Steven Soderbergh (Sex, Lies, and Videotape, Full Frontal, Traffic) is releasing his new film, Bubble, in theaters, on DVD, and on pay-per-view all at once. This is obviously a wonderful idea, and even if the movie ends up sucking, we should all either buy it or rent it immediately to support the structure break from the current movie industry oligopoly.

Also, the newest Merle album, Chicago Wind, is amazing. It is most definitely not his patent brand of honky tonk, but his songwriting is as stellar as ever, and I rather enjoy the softer, more Americana feel. He is at times political, without being obnoxious - an avenue many contemporary artists have dire need to explore. Download either the title track, "What I've Been Meaning to Say," or "Some Of Us Fly" for a taste of goodness.

And finally, on the same note, for those of you who are stuck at a computer all day at work like myself and need something to listen to, I highly recommend KHYI. I'm not sure how many locally owned country stations there are in Texas anymore, but "The Range" is by and away the best. (KVET, its only competition in the state, and my other fav, is Clear Channel.) Broadcasting out of Plano, they are a bastion of true-blue, gutsy country. Check it out.

2 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, January 19, 2006, Blogger angel, jr. said...

I love country. My iPod is more than 75% filled with it (all albums by Billy Currington, Rascal Flatts, Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw for starters). The other 25% is music like John Legend, Black Eyed Peas, 50 cent and Kelly Clarkson.
I think I'll go to iTunes and get those songs by Merle.

 
At 6:13 PM, January 19, 2006, Blogger mrshife said...

It will be interesting to see how the Bubble thing plays out for sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home