Monday, April 10, 2006

The dude abides

I have absolutely no clue why the "stupid male/sassy female" schtick in advertising continues to play out - it's not like women are the ones actually making money to be spent. Once, just once, I'd like to see/hear a commercial where the man condescends the woman and treats her like she has the mental capacity of a baboon, while the woman meanwhile plays the the part of a self-actualizing entity whose hierarchy of needs reaches zenith with manicures and a gossip ring. That at least seems a lot more realistic.

-----------------

So about immigration reform. First of all, HR 4437 in its House incarnation is probably the single most idiotic piece of "reform" ever presented regarding this issue. Building walls on the Mexican border and turning 11 million undocumented illegal aliens - as well as anyone who aids them - into felons makes about as much sense as pissing on your own carpet. This to say nothing at all of the certainly unfillable void in the labor force that would be created were this bill to be implemented to fruition.

Am I biased at all in the issue? You're goddamn right I am - I'm half Texan, half Mexican. There is no Texas without Mexico, and vice-versa, and there is definitely no me without either. As such, I empathize equally with people of both countries, though I may feel greater sympathy with my Mexican brothers for no other reason than they are consistently treated with far less dignity than we are. I am all for justice, but only in the absolute sense of the word.

Yesterday there was a massize march in Dallas, in protest of the bill in question and to demonstrate the people's desire for authentic immigration reform. Almost half a million people showed up. That's right, half a million, making it the largest civil rights demonstration in the city's history. Today, Houstonians take to the streets. God only knows what effect, if any, these and other marches all over the country will have, but I can't help but well up with emotion and pride in the movement. My hope is that the desire for justice will be satiated in all.

6 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, April 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, WTF? Not even a mention where the hell you've been for the past month. Glad to know you weren't deported. Just kidding.

This is one of the few posts where I actually agree with everything you say. Hence, I comment.

 
At 12:28 PM, April 10, 2006, Blogger GIZMO said...

Cheers for Vince being back! Cheers for Wes not having to mindlessly post! Cheers for Dell'accio reading! Cheers for half mexicans (yours truly included, though I guess I almost don't count)! Jeers for HR4437! Now I can go back to just doing the video and thinking about how I don't post.

 
At 2:26 PM, April 10, 2006, Blogger JM said...

kudos to your return.

 
At 3:42 PM, April 10, 2006, Blogger Richard said...

All I know is, I'm re-learning Spanish, because Vince, eres mi corazon.

 
At 4:59 AM, April 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was on sabbatical. I'm back with a vengeance now.

 
At 1:47 PM, April 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one mentioned Richard pissing on his own carpet not once, but three times. I'm a little disappointed

 

Post a Comment

<< Home