Monday, October 30, 2006

Day 12: In which Father Damien gets his groove back

To me, The Exorcist is a real standout. Maybe it's that in standard horror fare, the concepts of good/evil, or God/Satan are non-existent.

It drives me crazy when films don't even address the possibility that a higher power could help them out of whatever situation they're in. I think the argument is that appealing to God is too much of an easy out - the "If God is for us, who can be against us?" kind of thing - but I think that The Exorcist serves as a prefect counter-example to that line of reasoning. Conceding that ultimate power exists does not necessarily eliminate interesting and realistic conflict.

Tomorrow: ???

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, October 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definetly the scariest movie ever. Dark from the begining and it just never lets up.

 
At 11:02 AM, October 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched this movie for the first time in 7th grade and vowed never to watch it again. "The Exorcist" seriously screwed me up. I honestly had trouble sleeping for a year or two after I saw it. I can barely even look at the picture that you put up for this post.

 
At 2:31 PM, October 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cole, you gotta try and watch it again!

My grandparents took my mother and her brothers and sister to see this movie at the theater; the kids were all age twelve or younger. I guess my grandparents saw that it had a priest in it, and thought that would automatically qualify it as a family movie. This must've been before they had fully conquered the language barrier.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home