Monday, November 21, 2005

Let's kill Saturday night

I watched the USC-FS game on Saturday night. Wow. Now, I've already caught a lot of people saying things like "Man, USC is way overrated, how could they cut it close with Fresno State?" These people obviously haven't seen this team in action. I had 25 smackers and a round of drinks on this one with one of my work buddies - the first, and only bet I have made/will make this year. I was absolutely convinced that this was THE team to best the USC juggernaut.

It's not hyperbole to say that Fresno State this season has been one of the best mid-major teams of the past 15 years. I've caught them earlier in the season against Oregon, against Boise State, and now for this game... and I will testify that they are for real. I think Dellach, Adrian, and J-Bizzle - the only other people in the world I know who were watching - would agree. Tell me five other teams that could go toe-to-toe with the men of Troy at the Coliseum, trade licks, and nearly come away with a win. I dare you.

Now, 500+ yards for a single player is not only unprecedented, it is ungodly. I guarantee you that Reggie Bush sold his soul to the devil for this game, because if he had played along his season average lines, this would've been a straight ass-kicking, and the 'Dogs would be making their BCS charge. If this was his final campaign for the Heisman, fuck him, because his average numbers aren't near as substantial as VY's.

So, on to the relevant aspect... how did FS do it? Not with flash, not with glamour, but like a true-blue football team. They did it off tackle. They did it with a precision mid-range passing game. They did it by blowing back USC's defensive line, time and again. They did it by playing outstanding secondary coverage, and shutting down anyone not named Bush.

In other words, they did it how WE do it all the time.

Countdown to January 4, the clock is ticking...

3 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, November 21, 2005, Blogger JM said...

By the way, do you know if Annie sings the theme song to "Grey's Anatomy?".

 
At 5:10 PM, November 21, 2005, Blogger Mr. Shife said...

They are a good team. I got to watch live when they came to Idaho to play my Vandals. I think USC totally underestimated them and almost caught with their pants down. It was a great game.

 
At 11:11 PM, November 21, 2005, Blogger j merlino said...

I was beginning to wonder after the notre dame game if maybe it is usc's destiny 9again) this year.

although i will be rooting for texas. hook 'em horns !!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home