Monday, December 12, 2005

I blame myself...

...for the meltdown we experienced on Saturday.

Remember when I told you that I was too lazy to put the sheets back on the bed, so I was sleeping on the floor? Well, Mr. Shife convinced me that it would disturb the balance of the universe and the Horns would lose if I ever actually put them on.

I figured I could take one for the team, so for that reason, I've been sleeping on the floor since the first week of November.

Correction: I HAD BEEN sleeping on the floor, until Friday.

Friday afternoon, I was cleaning my house and couldn't stand to have an unmade bed any longer. Plus I was thinking about how nice it would be to actually stay warm at night, instead of sleeping on the cold ass floor. I made the bed. I slept in it that night.

Saturday... well, I think we all know what happened.

I blame myself.

---------------------

I read each of the books from the Chronicles of Narnia at least 10 times each when I was a kid. No lie. They were staples of my childhood literary diet. Obviously, I have also seen both PBS-aired film versions of The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe a bazillion times over: the animated version, co-produced by Bill Melendez and the CTW, and the live-action BBC production. I own them on VHS. In my expert and completely biased opinion, they are both impeccable adaptations.

Which is exactly my main critique of the most recent incarnation. When it was all over and the credits rolled, I couldn't help but ask myself "Why?" Why did we need this version? The book doesn't exactly lend itself to multiple interpretations; the allegory is pretty cut and dry. That's not a bad thing in itself, but it does get a tad old to see the exact same story told exactly the same way in three different movies. They basically become carbon copies of each other. I was seriously quoting dialogue in my head and envisioning exactly where the next scene would be. Yawn.

The animation was decent. The beavers are uber-cool, but the payoff definitely comes at the end, during the battle scene.

Pop quiz: in what percentage of his movies has Liam Neeson played the older, wiser, mentor figure?

All in all, it really wasn't a bad movie, but it certainly wasn't spectacular. It was missing a certain charm, I guess, in that I felt like the only reason I enjoyed it at all was my love for the series. The Silver Chair would've rocked a lot more socks off.

If you've never read these books, first of all, stab yourself in the eye, then buy the set. Each one only takes a few hours to read. If you have read them, but have never seen any of the film versions, you should shoot yourself in the face, then find one to watch. I know the BBC version is on Netflix, but I'm pretty sure they haven't transferred the animated one to DVD yet. I'm sure you can Amazon a used VHS copy for about 2 bucks. It would be a worthy investment.

P.S. Leach, I'm glad I was drunk when I saw it.

P.S.S. Giz, this is an awesome song. Great pick.

9 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, December 12, 2005, Blogger GIZMO said...

Don't blame yourself. Blame the horrible black uniforms. I never thought I would see the day where we wore something other than orange or white. I know we used to have grey b-ball uniforms, but I thought those days were behind us. We were dressed for our own funeral. What a tragedy. And VY was going to lose anyways, thanks to ESPN, it was never even close. Enjoy the bed man.

 
At 9:49 AM, December 12, 2005, Blogger T. Leach said...

Those are my sentiments exactly, Vince. I felt like it was the movie I had always pictured in my head--but that that wasn't necessarily a good thing.

Most everyone I saw it with--each of whom needs to stab themselves in the eye, by the way--liked it, but failed to see the religious parallels. I guess if you haven't read this series, then reading the Bible's probably too much to ask as well. The "Lion of the tribe of Judah," anyone?

 
At 10:56 AM, December 12, 2005, Blogger Sir Cody said...

At the Alamo there was a large sign reading WWAD. It took me a while, but I finally figured out the humor (kind of like the "Republicans for Voldemort" shirts). Anywho, I haven't read these books since my childhood and thought it was refreshing to see the story again. Also, I have a feeling this will lead on to the making of the whole series, but we shall see.

 
At 12:44 PM, December 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw pictures from the Drafthouse... how they made the entrance to look the wardrobe. Very cool.

I wonder how many people who have never been exposed to Narnia before will actually catch the Christology of Aslan. I'd be interested to hear what a newbie to the series has to say about this movie.

Oh well, now we countdown to Wednesday... KING KONG. That movie also has the potential to rape my childhood, but I have a feeling it's going to be balls good.

 
At 1:02 PM, December 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the reason they remade the movie is the same reason they are one the thrid version of the ninja turtles and the 46th version of the power rangers. This is a kids movie and kids need new shit, Prepare for the new action figures with kung fu grip!

 
At 1:07 PM, December 12, 2005, Blogger Mr. Shife said...

I warned you about making your bed.

 
At 1:33 PM, December 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, I suppose I need to stab myself in the eye and shoot myself in the face. "TLTWATW" is probably my most favorite childhood book of all time, in my childhood, as far as books go. However, I never read the rest of the series. Why? Apathy, most likely. I guess now would be as good a time as any to get started on the rest. If I can spend 3 years reading "LOTR", then I'm sure I could wrap up the Chronicles of Narnia in 12 to 18 months.
Second, may we never speak nor hear of the black jerseys ever again. We're not Tech. We're Texas. We're Orange. We don't need anything else, like black jerseys, to beat Duke. My theory is that the Gods of Texas Sports saw what was done to our beloved, classic, orange uniforms and saw fit to visit their wrath upon us on Saturday. Hopefully, Rick Barnes can soon find a virgin to sacrifice for appeasement lest we lose every game from here on out because of this transgression. And Coach Barnes, you might want to skip over the SDT house. Let's just hope the fallout to this tortfeasance doesn't make it's way to other sports as well...
Thirdly, I guess I like the "Daft Punk..." song. I did see that video this summer, though, and I had some semblance of that song in my head for the next two weeks. It was agony.

 
At 4:13 PM, December 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A virgin sacrifice is definitely in order. Good luck finding one anywhere in West Campus.

 
At 12:04 AM, December 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope no one that is reading this is an SDT. Sorry. I just chose a sorority at random. It was the first that came to mind. And was drunk. At 1:30 in the afternoon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home