Thursday, December 08, 2005

Mom, do we have to go?

The megachurches crack me up. Their latest stroke of genius? Cancelling Sunday services on December 25th because, hey, it's Christmas.

I tried to find out if my personal favorite, Lakewood, was following suit, but alas. They lacked the pertinent information on their website, so I was in no "unique position to confirm or dis-confirm" my hunch that they had.

By the way, I love their banner splash: "Discover the Champion in You." That's really nice, although I'd probably have gone with something a little less subtle, like "God schmod, we believe in the REAL trinity - me, myself, and I."

Okay, that's enough raggin' on the poor cats, back to the real point of the story.

Sure, "Christmas" for a good chunk of people in this country entails nothing more than an orgy of spending and consumerism, culminating in a morning of shredding wrapping paper. To quote Tupac's variation of a theme, "That's just the way it is; things will never be the same." Fair enough. I fail to comprehend, however, how any self-proclaimed believer in Christ rationalizes foregoing a regularly scheduled worship service because it happens to fall on the day that Christians have, for millenia, celebrated His birth. Not only is it absurd, it really is mind-boggling.

Whatever.

Today we celebrate the solemnity of the Immaculate Conception. Our Lady Immaculately Conceived is the patroness of the United States. Plenary indulgances abound. We win.

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee.

8 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, December 08, 2005, Blogger JM said...

yup, I've gotta go to mass at 5:30 today.

 
At 3:55 PM, December 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Based on this entry, I guess maybe you didn't find last night's South Park all that funny.

"Chicks bleed out their vaginas all the time."

-Pope Benedict XVI (on South Park)

P.S. Check out last Sunday's New York Times magazine for the front page cover story on Mike Leach's coaching philosophy for Texas Tech. It was a pretty cool read.

 
At 10:02 PM, December 08, 2005, Blogger j merlino said...

Hey, these megachurches are businesses. If it isn't feasible to open on Christmas why bother ? It's not like they are trying to save souls or anything.

They just want you to feel good, and make a buck, of course.

 
At 7:58 AM, December 09, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

South Park rules, it can do no wrong.

 
At 10:16 AM, December 09, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I'm glad I'm Methodist, aka Catholocism Light: all the redemption, half the guilt

 
At 9:05 PM, October 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://knuquger.com/oryd/lkwd.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://jmsylriu.com/fygt/stgn.html]Cool site[/url]

 
At 9:05 PM, October 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
My homepage | Please visit

 
At 9:06 PM, October 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://knuquger.com/oryd/lkwd.html | http://gumbfeap.com/zlkk/ruoh.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home